Happiness is a choice, it comes from within, not from things outside. It’s the best feeling in the world, because it’s freedom and it’s not dependable on the circumstances of life. If thoughts are the driving force behind feelings, then you can become aware of all that you think, it only takes a watchful effort to build awareness of your thoughts, and then it’s a choice whether to give them free rent in your head or look to a thought that stimulates happiness.
Here are some tips on planting seeds to grow happiness:
- There’s no need to change your thoughts, create your own thought that makes you smile, and think of it- try holding it for seventeen seconds.
- Waking is the best time to start happy thinking because every morning is a new day. It can be as simple as delighting in the bed you’re lying in, the sleep you’ve just woken from, feeling the comfort of lying flat. Milk those happy thoughts for as long as you can.
- Gratitude is a great way for happiness to grow. Being grateful for nature, food in your belly, the flow of the waves at the shoreline, the sounds of the birds. Perhaps you can be grateful for friends, family, or a stranger you pass by the way. Have gratitude for each breath, for the music you enjoy.
- Turn to nature, it holds all the harmonics to happiness. Go for a walk in a natural setting, at least once a week to start and then more frequently.
- Take your shoes off and feel the earth under your feet. There are acupressure points on the balls of your feet and when they touch the ground a connection is formed in the body. It’s like being plugged in to the universal circuit.
- Look up to the sky, watch the clouds, enjoy the colours of a sunrise or sunset.